Here for Hamilton Mountain
- Former Deputy Whip and critic for Mental Health and Addictions.
- Monique fought for and represented the Hamilton Mountain riding since 2011.
- A healthcare and children and youth champion, she was successful in fighting alongside families to remove age-discrimination in autism treatment access and gathered all-party support for eliminating wait-lists for children and youth access to mental health services.
- She was voted “Best Local Politician” (Platinum or Diamond awards), four years running by the readers of Hamilton Community News and “Most Determined MPP” by her MPP colleagues at Queen’s Park.
- Monique understands that the Hamilton Mountain community needs leadership that will continue fighting for better access to healthcare, universal pharmacare and dental care and on-the-job protection.
- Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, long-term care settings were hit hard. Monique fought for action at Grace Villa, a long-term care home in Hamilton where a devastating COVID-19 outbreak occurred. She pressed the government to provide support to the home and advocated on behalf of the residents and staff.
- Monique has been a long-standing advocate for affordable housing in Hamilton, and she is dedicated to community and street outreach in her riding as well as throughout the city. She has run several successful food drives in partnership with local charities, including the Santa Parade food Drive and the Christmas in July food drive.
Horwath will scrap Ford’s lawsuit shield for long-term care homes, fix LTC system
DURHAM and TORONTO – NDP Leader Andrea Horwath will restore the right of long-term care residents and their families to seek justice against negligent nursing home operators for the horrors they endured. Then she’ll overhaul long-term care so it doesn’t happen to others.
“Seniors — our parents and...
Same old Liberal entitlement: Del Duca’s $50,000 in allowance charges
It’s the same old Liberal entitlement. As MPP, Steven Del Duca used donor cash from his riding association like a personal ATM, with more than $50,000 of charges in high-end restaurants and spas, including internationally. The public filings posted by Global News show Del Duca charged for a Michigan “Grand...
No Doug, A Cottage in Muskoka does not make you a Northerner
TIMMINS – Gilles Bisson released the following statement after Doug Ford claimed earlier today that his cottage in Muskoka made him an honorary Northerner saying, “They ignored the North… This is my second home.”
“No Doug. A million-dollar cottage in Muskoka does not make you a Northerner.
Mamakwa calls for emergency response on flooding in the Northwest
SIOUX LOOKOUT – Sol Mamakwa released the following statement calling for an emergency response from the provincial and federal governments to help communities in Kiiwetinoong and the Northwest being severely impacted by flooding.
“The flooding happening now in Sioux Lookout is affecting homes and businesses...
NDP’s Niagara team says NDP’s announcement critical to fixing local health care
NIAGARA – The NDP’s Niagara team Wayne Gates (Niagara Falls), Jeff Burch (Niagara Centre), Jennie Stevens (St. Catharines) and Dave Augustyn (Niagara West) said that the NDP’s plan to invest in health care in the region will mean that families will get the care they need faster.
On Sunday, Andrea Horwath...
Horwath commits to add 850 nurses in Niagara so health care comes faster
NIAGARA and TORONTO – NDP Leader Andrea Horwath will fill the 50 empty nursing jobs in Niagara Region hospitals and hire an additional 800 nurses in her first term so Niagara families get the care they need faster.
“When your mom is in the hospital, you want to know that a nurse is at her bedside. When your...
NDP will add 1,386 nurses in Scarborough, so people get care faster
SCARBOROUGH AND TORONTO – Andrea Horwath and the Ontario NDP will fix the nursing shortage in Scarborough by filling the current 186 nursing vacancies, and adding 1,200 new nurses at Scarborough’s hospitals and public community health settings over Horwath’s first term.
“We can help people get care...
NDP’s plan to end gas price gouging means relief for Northern drivers
NORTHERN ONTARIO – The NDP’s Northern team of candidates say Andrea Horwath’s plan released Friday means northern drivers will finally get some relief at the pumps.
“Northern drivers are paying the highest cost for gas in the province. The NDP’s plan to regulate gas prices means we will stop unfair...
NDP government would invest in Windsor-Essex health care
WINDSOR – NDP candidates Lisa Gretzky (Windsor West), Gemma Grey-Hall (Windsor—Tecumseh) and Ron LeClair (Essex) said that an NDP government would invest in making health care better for the families of Windsor and Essex.
“Families in Windsor-Essex deserve a health care system that actually meets their...
Ontario’s NDP will cap gas prices weekly and save commuters money
TORONTO – Andrea Horwath and the NDP will regulate the price of gas — capping gas prices, outlawing gouging, and saving Ontarians money at the pumps.
“Every day, people are being gouged by oil and gas companies who are already making record profits,” said Horwath. “It’s time for Ontarians to get a...
Ford doesn’t get it done for drivers when meeting with Big Oil
Newly released freedom of information records show gas prices were not on Ford’s agenda in 2019 when he met with big oil and gas companies in Calgary. His own talking points didn’t even mention lowering gas prices.
Ford spent more than $10,000 on the trip to Calgary to meet with representatives from...
NDP will remove tolls for truckers on Highway 407 — reducing gridlock on 400-series highways
NDP candidates announce plan to reduce gridlock for Brampton drivers
BRAMPTON — An Ontario NDP government will immediately eliminate tolls on Highway 407 for all trucks and transport vehicles, reducing gridlock, shortening commute times and making commuting less expensive for Brampton drivers.